Here is where you victory!
Member since January 13, 2012
Last Login: August 24, 2012
AP: 5,081 Bookmarks: 171
Current Projects February 24, 2012 - 7:36AM
Hello everyone, Naomi here! I have a question for you, see end of journal for it.
School is getting pretty busy, I have a lot of identification tests [Birds and Fish in particular] coming up and the like, but I hope to still try to get some stuff done. I try to write every day, at least- my goal is to get another manuscript done. Of what i'm not sure, I alternate between 3 or 4 different stories and just keep adding to them. to me, every sentence is progress.
Overall my priorities lie with that, studying & Internships, completing some trades from deviant art, and some Design work for my projects. I actually draw a lot in class. But it's just getting the time to scan everything into Photoshop and digitally complete it. I'd like to get some incomplete pictures out of the way as well.
On campus here we have a leucistic robin. Which is quite rare and special. I hope that after my test's ill be able to go see it before it leaves the area. If i can get a photo I'll show you :)
For my question, I want to know what sorts of stories you like to read. Genre, and subject. Like 'vampires' or 'werewolves' or 'dragons' or 'military' and etc. I'm curious to know :O
Other then that, not much else is going on. I hope you all have a great week. c:
Gallery Update Complete! January 23, 2012 - 5:00PM
So sorry for the spam! I tried to transition over some of my better works. There are still a few I left behind, though! Please feel free to go and take a look at all the stuff i missed http://naomi-wiflath.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/
If there is anything you think I should transition over that i didnt, let me know and i will!
For now though, I'm ready for any NEW art. :D Yay. I'll also be setting up my sketchbooks. One for general sketch dumps. The other for Memes.
Thank you for your support c:
SOPA, PIPA & The Internet January 18, 2012 - 9:15AM
The blackout is confusing some, and I want to try and clarify what its suppose to represent. Its a huge pain and inconvenience to bar users from accessing their usual content. But the reasoning behind it is to try to give a glimpse of a world where actions like SOPA and PIPA have come to pass. Weve seen people play the law and copyright, with the rise of copyright trolls [See Righthaven if you are unaware] milking innocent internet users for cash.
It has NOTHING to do with protecting the rights of artists. Its about who holds what rights to something and protecting /THEIR/ rights. The companies. Not us, it never was about us- whose joy is the creation of new things into the world and who only want some security that we will earn enough credit to perhaps make a living in a money driven world.
Imagine a world where you have to be very careful about the creatures you create, in fear that you may sued for all your worth because the designs ended up similar- even if you never knew they existed. Imagine getting sued because your creature is a hexapod like Avatar wildlife.
I personally am on the fence in regards to copyright. I think everyone should get their credit, but I dont think its ok to sue people for every cent for a few songs. Especially when the entity is not some poor starving artist just wanting their dues- its a megacorporation cashing in. If the mindset of SOPA and PIPA continue, innovation will be smothered in a terrible way, the unity and freedom that is the internet which we have enjoyed all our lives will be gone and shattered.
The SOPA and PIPA way of thinking will not stop piracy. Regulating a realm where everyone can put up their own webpage and have their voice there is dangerous, is not right.
The art and value of our desire to create should not be hindered by moneyhungry law. We should not have to be so afraid, as we are now. That mentality is wrong, its unfair. Why cant the arts be appreciated, and each of us get our dues without megacorporations and lawsuits getting in the way of our work reaching out to everyone and touching them in a meaningful way.
Im not trying to be anti-corporate here, and I actually dont have an opinion on whether or not piracy is ok. But I do think that the smaller artists, who get by day to day- they need the money, and the help. I think huge artists will survive without having to terrorize their fans.
There are more important issues the governments of the world need to be focusing on right now. Poverty, Equality, Famine, Genocide, The Economy, Sustainability & Climate change. Why is the world instead focusing its efforts on trying to regulate creativity for corporations instead?
Nabyn thoughts January 16, 2012 - 12:21PM
Hello! As you're aware i'm new to Nabyn, as are most here. Overall my impression is good. I like the sense of security it has, if that is strange. I look forward to this site developing further and i really hope it becomes successful. Deviant art is ok and all but lets face it that the staff are terrible and such behavior by mods and admins is unacceptable.
Whenever I try out new things, I tend to analyze them. Whats the good, whats the bad? Whats needed features? That's going to be the purpose of this journal as I work my way more around Nabyn and get a better understanding of it's features.
Things I like:
A Closed Community - I figure this is temporary for beta testing. But I seriously hope this system is considered to be kept. It's not /hard/ to get an invite here. And it makes sense that activity earns you the ability to give out invites. This keeps out spam accounts, trolls, etc. I've had stalking problems in the past, and on deviant art they could easily just make a new account. As it stands now, people cant easily do that here. That's why I feel safer and more secure here, and I'd hope that it stays that way somehow.
Indexing Option - This makes me very happy! I like that i can choose to not have search engines index my pages.
Scrap Galleries - This makes me happy too! Finally a good way to manage scraps where they are separate from my gallery but still /THERE/ for people to see. Not hidden away.
Things I don't like:
I don't have anything in particularly specific to put here. I still need to learn my way around the site more. But I do think that there are some features that could be executed a little more intuitively. But I'll have to use the site more to learn specifically 'why' i feel this way. The message center comes in mind, but it has features that I quite like that dev doesn't have.
Things/Features that are needed/would be helpful:
- The Tag search be more accessible [top bar, etc] [saw this mentioned on the admins list]
- Number of updates displayed at the top instead of simply 'NEW UPDATES'
- Ability to bookmark characters you find neat or interesting [OR keep an 'address book 'of them?]
- Ability to see the default theme on other peoples pages [Some themes are blinding/hard to read, so this would be wonderful] [Saw this on the admin's list?]
- Support for Literature? I know photography isn't supported [and this may be a necessary evil to avoid deviant art's porn problem], but i'd like to hear input on literature. Deviant art is simply horrible for it.
- An easy way to create thumbnails. I like on dev you can make thumbnails, but I HATE that you have to use a special code for it. Why not just go :thumbIMAGEURLHERE: instead?
- Ability to change your DISPLAY name. Url's stay hardcoded, but if users can alter their display name at will, this may prevent some cases of the 'MOVE TO A NEW ACCOUNT syndrome' and hopefully lowers the amount of gathering dead accounts in the future.
- Show/hide submissions. Similar to the store function on deviant art, but make it simpler and more intuitive. [and thus less resource intensive]
- Ability to make polls [both individual users and the eventual groups]
- Ability bookmark journals, but keep this SEPARATE from bookmarks of artwork. [really, the term 'favorite' fits art better. and then the separate term 'bookmark' for journals. but this could be reversed [journals are 'favorites', etc], or whatnot]
- Ability to choose to display a certain gallery/bookmark folder on your profile page. I'd like to show off my character ref sheets and fan art people have done!
- Eventual chatroom support would be a bonus [someday]
- A [view parent] or [view previous post] button on messages. Sometimes I forget what the conversation was about, and need to see what my previous response was.
- Ability to rearrange the order that submissions are in within your gallery.
This will be added to with time. But overall I am quite pleased with Nabyn, and look forward to spending more time here!
Here's the Forum post to accompany this: http://www.nabyn.com/forum_thread.php?id=252